
Liz and I have been thinking we needed to replace the nasty linoleum in our kitchen as well and get rid of the carpet under the table. We had been looking around and found some wood linoleum on sale at home depot (.99c/sq ft) which we really liked. Since Liz was at work for the first half of the project I made sure I took plenty of pictures so she could see how much work I did. I need all the brownie points I can get right? This was a project I thought would take 3 or 4 hours and ended up taking 8. Does that ever happen to you? This is what the kitchen looked like when I started.

Here is a shot into the kitchen.

First I pulled up all of the carpet which is incredibly easy by the way.

Next I pulled up all of the padding.

If you are ever thinking about removing linoleum from your house don't do it! It is such a pain in the butt, literally and figuratively. when linoleum is installed they glue down a quarter inch plyboard on top of the subflooring to level it out. This is not wussy glue either, its like death glue. Then for safe measure they put inch and a half long staples all over the stupid board. Then they glue the linoleum to this plyboard. Unfortunately it took about 3 hours just to take out this little bit of linoleum. I had to use a hammer and pry bar to get it up. Luckily my neighbors were understanding because it was incredibly loud.

This is what it looked like about half way through

Lucky for me some friends decided to show up and help or I would have been in big trouble. Here is Adam taking care of business. They had installed the cabinets on top of the plyboard so it was a huge pain to break the plyboard off clear up to the cabinet.

Scott and Wendy showed up as well. I invited them over to "watch" the BYU basketball game and pulled a quick one on them. We had the BYU game on, which they dominated by the way, but there wasn't much watching going on. Thanks for letting me pull a quick one on you guys.

Here we hard slaving away. Thanks for the triple butt shot Wendy!

After we got it all up we had to clean it up really well.

Next we had to install foam padding underneath which helps to level out the floor. By this point my parents had shown up. They had taken a trip to salt lake they didn't' know they were going to take so they came down and spent the night.

Finally we started putting the flooring down


Here is the finished product

Thanks everyone for you help and patience. It was a project that took a whole lot longer than expected.
8 comments:
Looks great you guys! All that hard work paid off!
Wow JD I am superly impressed. It looks really good!
Boy you guys have skills!
Wow! you guys are amazing. You can do anything I think. You did a great job and it looks really nice.
Awesome! That looks great.
Wow! It looks great! Good job!
the kitchen is nice.. greetings from brunei Darussalam
Just blog cruising and found you. I love these floors myself. My husband and I have put the same in our guest cottage. Nice job and good thing you had help too it's not as easy as it looks.
Post a Comment