Sunday, April 18, 2010

The LSAT


Now that classes are nearly done for the semester I'm getting ready for the LSAT which I'll be taking in October. I'm in a prep class that meets 10-12 hours a week which has been really helpful thus far. My summer is going to be comprised of going to work 40 hours a week and trying to study for the last for another 10-15 hours a week. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the LSAT it is the standardized test for entry to law school. Its made up of five 35 minute sections: 2 logical reasoning, 1 analytical reasoning, and 1 reading comprehension. For all of you who have known me since I was little you probably would assume I would be horrible at the reading comprehension. I think I got an 18 on that section when I took the ACT. Surprisingly, thus far it has been my strongest section. The analytical reasoning section is a game section where you are given a set of rules and have to connect them all to find appropriate responses. The logical reasoning (the bane of my LSAT existence thus far) is a section full of short paragraphs which you have to analyze. I thought I would include an example so you could see how fun they are. This is from the June 1996 LSAT:

A commonly accepted myth is that left-handed people are more prone to cause accidents than are right-handed people. But this is, in fact, just a myth, as is indicated by the fact that more household accidents are cause by right-handed people than are cause by left-handed people.
The reasoning is flawed because the argument:
A) makes a distinction where there is no real difference between the things distinguished
B) takes no account of the relative frequency of left-handed people in the population as a whole
C) uses the word "accidents" in two different senses
D) ignores the possibility that some household accidents are caused by more than one person
E) gives wholly irrelevant evidence and simply disparages and opposing position by calling it a "myth"

Wasn't that fun! Try doing it in a 1 minute and 15 seconds, it makes the experience much more enjoyable. I bet this makes everyone want to join me on a Saturday morning at 8 am to take a practice test, doesn't it? Hopefully you all will be praying for me because the LSAT is a huge deal when you are trying to get into law schools. I would really like to go to BYU's law school so I need to get around a 165 (the test is out of 180). So for all of you dying to known what I've been up to, since I haven't posted for a very long time, there you have it.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I think it's B. Am I right? And it only took me about 25 seconds. Bring on the LSAT;)