So today was a wonderful sunday. The only thing that could have made it better was if Liz didn't have to work. So during the week I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about very unimportant things like books, movies, and politics. So every sunday I'm going to try and put up a post called "My Sunday Sermon." I'm just going to share an insight I had during the day at church or during my studies. Even if nobody reads it, it will be a great way for me to stregthen my testimony by bearing it to others. Now that all the announcments have been made lets get on to the opening hymn, er I mean my thought.So todays lesson in doctrines of the gospel was about Alma and Amulek and some people had some interesting insights into chapter 14. In verse 10 it says:
"And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene? Therefore let us stretch forth our hands, and exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames."Of course when the women and children were being burned it must have pained Alma and Amulek, but its impresive the amount of faith Amulek had in believing they could save these people from this awful fate. Someone pointed out that one of the reasons that Amulek probably felt so passionately was because Ammoniah was his hometown. If they were burning the women and the children of those who believed I bet his family was in there. Also he probably knew all the other women and children as well. That, to me, showed how much faith Amulek had when Alma says:
"The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for
behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and crymightily against them at the last day."
Amulek had faith in Alma and in the gospel even in the face of adveristy. He followed the council of the prophet and had faith that what Alma taught was true. I hope I can have faith like that! The gospel can heal all wounds and make all injustices right. I know that is true!
No comments:
Post a Comment