Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas and JD's Birthday

It was a Merry and somewhat peaceful Christmas at the Egberts this year. We enjoyed a dinner with our friends on Christmas Eve and played a game while the kids sort of watched a movie but also played. I made my first turkey, which I think turned out pretty nice, even if I do say so myself. JD had Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after off, plus the weekend so we had 5 days together which was wonderful. Christmas Eve involved lots of baking and then the dinner. Christmas Day involved lots of face-time and lego building and hanging out. I made an over night french toast recipe which we ate picnic style and then had leftovers for lunch and then JD grilled us some hamburgers on his new grill, so I enjoyed a day without any cooking! The day after we went out to the beach in the evening and enjoyed a bonfire with several friends from the ward and roasted hot dogs and s'mores. It was beautiful weather. I loved the fact that it was warm enough for us to do things outside. Cami ran around kicking her soccer ball while JD grilled on Christmas and it was sweet. The only sad moment was when Cami ran to the window and realized there was no snow and then cried when Nana showed her the snow in Idaho on face-time.
This last week we welcomed the new year with a ward activity New Year's Eve at the church. Cami loved hanging out with all the kids and dancing and eating fun treats. I learned a new game and we had fun chatting and hanging out with ward friends! New Years Day we lounged around and spent the evening with more friends. JD enjoyed a couple fruitless, but still fun fishing trips over the holidays. I am so grateful for how welcoming and friendly people have been here. Our ward has definitely been like family in reaching out to us and involving us. It has been so nice to make friends, and made the holidays bright and fun even when so far from our families.
Cami and JD making treats...this is what happens when I send JD to the grocery store for butter and whipping cream and he comes back with pretzels and chocolate and a bunch of other snack/junk food...
Christmas Eve with friends! I didn't take very many pictures...
Christmas Morning! 
Look what Santa brought!

I love Cami's reactions. She is one of the most positive happy little girl I have ever met! She is so genuinely happy and smiley. I am grateful for her enthusiasm and energy!

Our breakfast picnic...
Building legos...this took up pretty much most of the day. It took us like 4 hours to put the boat together. Good thing we played along the way. We help, but overall I am pretty impressed with Cami and her ability to put these things together. She is a big fan of legos..as is mommy...I am not going to lie,,,this might be partly a present for me :)

These videos don't really do it justice, but I am pretty proud of this. I hid JD's present in the closet and he didn't have a clue so it was a good surprise. This is big for me since JD has very detailed lists for Christmas and his birthday so he doesn't usually get surprised, but I wanted to surprise him this year.


All assembled. JD says this was also a gift for me since it means I can get him to cook more now!
Christmas night hanging out outside grilling and kickin around the soccer ball. Yes Cami is in her PJs...she wore them all day and then to bed. I am an awesome mother!


Bonfire at the beach the day after Christmas. The first fire pit got flooded by the incoming tide, but we relocated and enjoyed more warmth and light :)
It was beautiful out! I will take this over snow!

Cami enjoying her s'more!

JD celebrated his 29th birthday! I am so grateful for my wonderful husband. He is always encouraging me and so supportive. I am grateful for how hard he is working for our family. We have lots of fun together and I can't imagine my life without him! So glad he was born!!!
Facetime with the parents on his birthday!

Yep he is one ;) JD doesn't like cake so we usually have cheesecake for his birthday, and quite frankly I didn't have enough candles or want wax on the cheesecake ;)


I didn't take any pictures of our New Years activities, but we are grateful for what 2014 brought us. It was a good year, JD graduated from law school, took and passed the bar, found a job, we moved to Portland, and many other wonderful memories and times with family. We have much to be grateful for and are happy to welcome a new year with a new chapter of our life here post school!

No comments: