Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Little Bit of Heaven, Sometimes

I decided that I would give you a little snapshot of my work. Anyone who works with children or infants, their own or otherwise knows that there are moments of joy, peace, frustration, irritation, or even panic. I love my job and love working with these babies. In the 8 months that I have worked in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit, I have learned alot about patience and love. I have also gained an increased appreciation for life and for the plan of salvation. Despite what people may think with modern technology there really is a very high success rate for what we do. While there are times when there is nothing we can do, there are so many times when these little tiny 25 weekers make it. So here are some pictures I googled so that you can see a little of what I do.
Here is a picture of the bed the top comes up and down and the sides have port holes so you can touch the baby when the top is down, the screen in the top left hand corner is a monitor that is connected to probes on the baby to let us know what the heart rate, blood pressure and respiratory rate are. the IV pump is on the right.


Yes I have taken care of babies this small. We have 1 and 2 pound babies that make it.


A showcase of an isolette that we use to keep the baby warm, humidified, and in a less stimulating environment. Preemie babies especially get over stimulated and it can cause too much stress for their tiny underdeveloped brains. The foremost object is a pump that we use to infuse feedings through a tube that goes in their nose and down to their stomach. They are not developed enough to eat on their own. this baby has what is called a nasal CPAP on which is just one of the ways that we can give oxygen to babies.

2 comments:

NB said...

Hey Liz, you are so smart! NICU scares me!

Allison said...

I didn't know you worked in the NICU! some friends of ours had thier twins 16 weeks early..they were about 1 1/2 lbs. One has passed away but the other is doing ok, good days and bad days. Your so amazing and wonderful to work with such sweet and small spirits!